My name is Carly Schlotterer. I am from a small town in rural Ohio, and Denver is the most West I have traveled. I’m a lesbian as well, which adds a great deal of fun stories and insights into the Midwest, from my own perspective of course! I read a great deal and love to debate, especially when I am able to question and discuss issues with people of differing perspectives. I also appreciate the outdoors, especially outside of cities, although the city has been a haven for education and confort for me as well.
I absolutely love discussing GWST topics. I’ve taken 6 classes that were based on some sort of gender or sexuality topic, including Into to GWST, Geography of the Queer Body, and Fesminst philosophy. I like these types of classes because it is discussion based, but also because one only needs to defend and make connections and understandings with discussion topics, as opposed to a black or white, right or wrong answer. There are so many variables to humans that I really dislike the study of solely opposed and binary concepts. Gender and women’s studies has allowed me to continue to learn and understand not just through the regurgitation of information, but by thinking and analizing the data I experience as well as have read and creating a view or perspective from that, to which I then can interact with others and really understand and not solely learn.
I would say the only thing I would like from classmates is honestly, open-mindedness to ideas and concepts, and to use evidence to support one’s perspective.
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment