So my name is Jessica- Pearl. It's my first name, but you can call me J.P. or Pearl, or whatever variation you can think of, doesn't really matter to me. I was born and raised in Denver Colorado, and I consider myself apart the North-Side and Globeville communities of Denver, speaking in terms of where I was raised. In larger terms I consider myself a Chicana, which in itself holds a lot of different cultures and holds so much more meaning beyond culture. Feel free to ask about, some people have a hard time grasping it. I'm a studio and Film Studies Major so as you can imagine I spend most of time doing some pieces, or working on or watching a film. Beyond that I'm either working or sleeping.
I don't have much background in GWST, and I've never taken a course but I took and interest in the class because of it's specific focus on the South West United States, and because I've always had a interest in GWST, just haven't had a chance to take a class. I have some familiarity with topics like feminism, queer theory, and sexuality, as I work for the LGBTIQA offices at CME, but I have much more knowledge in critical race theory, as I was raised with a family who understood a great many of those issue's. I hope to learn much more though in this class about all of these topics as I take a great interest in them!
I work best in the classroom through discussion, it helps me grasp a better idea of what a professor is trying to say. I do however like to take detailed notes on what the professor says and from there go back and put my own opinions on the notes, as well as some of the thoughts of my peers. Through this process I'm able to comprehend and thus write better on the topic at hand.
p.s. About the title...
"A Piñata-Buster is a risk taker who seldom gets the goodies. He or she busts the system wide for others, not necessarily for himself or herself. By the time the blindfolded is removed, the best candy has been taken by the others. Only on rare occasions are the most desirable treats shared with the piñata- buster."- Roberto P. Haro
reading a great book right now by Jose Antonio Burciaga called Drink Cultura. though I'd share apart of the chapter I just read. :]
Hi J.P. i am very interested in your background and you thoughts and opinions on the subject matters for the future. You seem to have one of the more varied background that gives you a different outlook on these things. I am very excited what you have to bring to the table!
ReplyDelete