Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Intro

Hello to my fellow classmates. My name is Aly Rose Friedman. People call me Aly or Aly Rose I'll respond to both. I was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska. Communities I belong to are the artist community, Jewish (but identify more culturally then spiritually), and people often categorize me as a "hippie" but I just like to think I am free spirited. Outside of class I spend most of my time working, going to shows, painting(art), and skiing in the winter.

I have gone to four other colleges, but I have been at DU for the last three years and will be graduating at the end of this school year with a B.A. in Studio Arts with a painting focus and a minor in Digital Media.

I am not quite sure where my interest in queer theory came from. I have had family members and friends since I can remember being harassed for being gay, and I guess I never truely understood why it could not be excepted into the "norms" of society. Also, being part of the art world a lot of these subject matters and issues arise and often times these pieces create the most meaning. So i guess my intrigue is to be able stand up for what i believe in and know the background of what I am talking about. I have taken a class on queer theory and it really helped answer some of the questions I had, so I thought this class would be a good continuation of that.

I really enjoy a classroom that interacts with one another. A classroom that knows each others name by the third week of class (give or take). I like this because in that kind of setting, people are more willing to speak out and give different interpretations which helps give me pathways to other ways of thinking.

I am really looking forward to this class and very interested to see what others have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment